Are you looking to save up more and faster for retirement? Do you want to get into real estate investing but don’t want the stress of dealing with tenants?
Read along as we discuss multifamily real estate investing with today’s guest Amy Sylvis, founder of Sylvis Capital, and how you can generate passive income from it.
From Battling an Illness to Managing a Business Empire
Most of us would throw in the towel when life gets rough.
But as for others?
They see the gifts that come along with every setback. And that’s how Amy Sylvis has viewed her life.
Amy grew up dealing with a genetic disease called Cystic Fibrosis (C.F.). This progressive congenital disease causes long-lasting lung infections and limits the ability to breathe over time.
When the doctor told her that she won’t live past 16, she went on and achieved milestone after milestone instead of sulking.
She went to high school and college. Eventually, she got an MBA and signed for a job that she loved in the biotech industry.
But since her illness affected her job performance, she stumbled on the idea of replacing her traditional job with a passive income.
And that’s how she got into real estate investing.
She started as a long-time investor and built her own multifamily real estate empire Sylvis Capital.
Sylvis Capital is a real estate firm that invests in large multifamily properties in the U.S. through syndication.
Amy is continuing to grow her real estate portfolio to achieve the five freedoms:
- Financial freedom
- Time freedom
- Geographic freedom
- Freedom of association
- Freedom of purpose
All these and more while helping busy professionals achieve their freedoms, too.
What is a Multifamily Real Estate?
A multifamily real estate is a term describing buildings with multiple units. It’s traditionally called apartment complexes. However, this term can also refer to duplexes, townhomes, or other buildings designed to house families in livable separate units.
Why Invest in Multifamily Real Estate?
In episode 3 of Women Creating Wealth, I discussed how you can easily make an extra income stream through house hacking. House-hacking is essentially turning your current unit into an income-generating property.
However, unlike house-hacking, multifamily real estate investing deals with none of those day-to-day hassles of owning real estate.
As a passive investor of multifamily properties, you essentially….
- put up capital with your chosen firm and invest with other like-minded investors
- invest anywhere in the country and not just where you live
- own an actual piece of the apartment complex
- enjoy the tax benefits of investing in real estate as a limited partner
- receive passive income from rentals without dealing with tenants
- grow your real estate portfolio faster
If all of those above sound like gems to you, read further below.
Top Tips on How to Succeed as a Woman Investor
Success doesn’t come easily. But if you put in the work with proper mindset, everything will follow. So here are just a few tips that Amy shared during the interview on how you can succeed as a woman real estate investor.
- Expect bumps in the road, but know that these are also portals through which success comes.
- A failure is not a sign that you can’t do something. It is part of the journey. Embrace it and learn from it.
- If you have a spouse or a partner, it helps that they’re on board with your decisions, too.
- Self-education or continuous learning is a must whether you are an investor or want to start your own business.
- Go get a mentor or someone that can encourage you to persist and build a strong mindset.
- There’s more than enough for everybody. And the more people you help, the more goodness comes.
- It’s okay to ask for help, especially if you’re just starting.
If you are a busy woman and want to get into real estate investing without dealing with tenants, or if you’re looking for other ways to build extra income for retirement, this one’s for you.
Listen to the full version above of Episode 4 of Women Creating Wealth!